Metabolism is the chemical process in which the body converts foods into energy. This is one of the most important bodily processes needed for life. Unfortunately, these chemical reactions that take place in these metabolic pathways are easily interrupted causing metabolic disfunction.
About 1 in 3 adults are predicted to have metabolic syndrome. Metabolic Syndrome is a group of abnormalities that affect metabolic function and health that have the potential to result in serious life threatening conditions if left unmanaged.
Metabolic syndrome is diagnose when someone meets 3 or more criteria:
- HDL less than 40mg/dl for men or 50 mg/dl for women
- Fasting blood glucose greater than 100 mg/dl
- Triglycerides level above 150 mg/dl
- Blood pressure of 130/85 mm Hg or higher
- Waistline of 40 inches + for men or 35 inches + for women