Running isn’t the only way to burn calories. Your metabolism burns calories while sitting in the car on the way to work and even during a Netflix binge. Over time, your metabolism slows and no longer burns as many calories doing everyday things. Here are a few easy ways to speed up your metabolism to ensure maximum calorie burning.
1. Eat breakfast ASAP. Eating breakfast within an hourof waking can jumpstart and rev your metabolism all day long. Be sure to choose foods high in protein and fiber, like eggs and avocado toast or a berry yogurt parfait.
2. Go Green (tea). Instead of a cup of coffee, opt for a cup of green. Green tea is high in antioxidants, reduces bad cholesterol and aids your digestive system. The downside – it’s low in caffeine. If you need a bigger energy boost, try black tea. It has as much caffeine as a cup of coffee but has way more benefits, such as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Take the stairs. When you get to work, park far away and take the stairs. Take breaks in your workday to walk around and chat with your co-workers. It may seem small, but moving just a little more throughout the day can boost your metabolism in a big way.
4. Eat a protein-packed lunch. When deciding on lunch, pick meals that have a good protein-carb combo. It will give you a burst of energy and get you feeling good all day long. Try a simple turkey sandwich on whole grain bread with lettuce, tomato, and mustard with a side of fruit.
5. Drink a ton of water. There are numerous benefits of drinking water, not to mention drinking colder water forces your body to burn more calories because it has to work harder to keep you warm. Also, drinking a glass of water after waking up kick-starts your brain and organs for a productive day. Added bonus: squeeze half a lemon in your drink for a quick morning detox.
6. Mix up your workout routine with intervals. Short, high-intensity exercises force your metabolism to skyrocket. Whether you’re on the treadmill, elliptical, Stairmaster or outside, try sprinting for 30 seconds and walk/rest for 30 seconds for at least 10 minutes. Make a playlist of your favorite songs that match your rhythm to make intervals more fun.
7. Chocolate is the best remedy. Research shows that when you exercise, your body loses glucose. So what’s the best way to restore it? Chocolate milk – the perfect combination of protein and carbs. Drinking chocolate milk after working out not only restores glucose the right and natural way but also keeps your metabolism on track.
8. Spice up your dinner. For dinner, try and choose foods with a little kick. Spicy foods are said to have more metabolism boosting properties while also being fat-free. So spice it up by adding a little sriracha or chili peppers to your next meal.
9. Relax. Too much stress can be detrimental to your body. Take a few minutes to relax and unwind from the day by doing a couple of minutes of yoga, meditating or even a hot bath.
10. Get your Zzz’s. If you follow these tips throughout the day, you’ll be ready for a good night’s sleep. Quality sleep is key to a healthy body and mind and allows the body to full restore and recover from the day. Be sure to get between seven to eight hours a night to keep your metabolism, body, and mind in top shape.